Monday, April 9, 2012

Bad run, GREAT run!

After missing two weeks of my long runs (one week Oliver was teething like a champ and not napping well, the next week I had strep and pink eye and spent four hours in Urgent Care waiting for medicine), I got in two more training runs before our half marathon on April 21st!

The first was last Sunday, April Fool's Day - but it was NOT a fun run. I felt a bit stiff before I even set out, and I had the feeling that it wasn't going to be a good run. I had led our 10K training program the day before, and gone to S.S. class - I'm pretty sure that's what put me over the edge. My legs and glutes were really sore from the time I woke up.  Here's the map and elevation/pace chart from my bad run. Now that I think about it, it also could've been the fact that I did the same loop as a few weeks ago. I need new scenery to keep me occupied :)

8 miles in 1:16:20, 9:29/mi. BLECH.

Wednesday, I picked Oliver up from daycare and he had napped for 40 minutes. All day. So, I figured it would be a great opportunity to get a short run in, allow him to nap (he will always sleep in the BOB if I'm running), and test out the Bronx River Trail where we'll be doing a lot of our 10K training runs.  It's a great, but very hilly trail. Oliver fell asleep before the first mile beep, and missed out on seeing a muskrat in the stream that runs along side. (I managed to snap a photo on my phone and text it to my nature-loving mum).  We ran 2.5 miles out, and came back. So it ended up being 5 miles in 45:30, 9:06/mile. Not bad with the stroller! Check out the elevation chart for this run, woah.


THEN......... comes the great run. [It's always better to get the bad news first, right?] I only did the 10K training, and not class on Saturday, which I think partially contributed to the success. Also, it was impromptu. I didn't plan my route until I headed out the door... and luckily my iPod and Garmin were charged and ready to go. It was a simply beautiful day - about 58 degrees with a slight breeze. Absolutely perfect running weather. I also ran a new way, along some residential roads, and across a few highways (I love this feeling, see previous post). I've decided that doing an out-and-back is great, but having to make a few turns breaks the run up into more manageable chunks.  For example, I ran 2 miles, turned right, ran another 2, turned left and ran another 2. Then, I just ran back home. This was mentally much easier than running 6 miles on the same road and turning around. And, after running for almost 7 years now, I've learned that running is about 80% mental. Ben will attest to this as well!  Here's the map/chart:


Easter Sunday, 4/8/12 - 12 miles in 1:47:36, 8:58/mi. YESSSSSSS! After this run I feel READY for our race in less than two weeks.

Running by myself is always a little bit harder (to keep pace, etc.), so I'm confident that Amie and I can break 2:00:00 again. (I've done one and made it under, she's done 12 (!) and made it under also).  I also have to say that I wasn't TOO sore today. I did make it to SS this morning, which was good. I ran a little bit, which felt nice to stretch it out a little bit. 

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment