Sunday, January 8, 2012

Six mile training run

 This morning was my first 'training run' in preparation for this spring's half marathon. Having only done a few runs recently, I decided to push myself and do 6 miles. We parked in Old Greenwich, ran down to Tod's Point, around and back for exactly 6.0 miles - good estimation on my part. Here is a recap of today's run.

Last night, I charged my Garmin, laid out clothes, and found my ipod in preparation. I've been missing my ipod charger (it's the old shuffle, with the odd headphone charger port) for a while, but haven't gotten around to replacing it. Needless to say, when I put the headphone in and pressed play, it didn't work. Oh well. An ipod-free run!

I love the scenery at Tod's Point (also known as Greenwich Point), it's so beautiful although it can sometimes be a bit windy.  From CVS (where we parked) to the entrance to the park, it was about 1.75 miles. My co-pilot was asleep before I even started the Garmin (I guess that's what happens when you are up at 10:30pm and 3:00am the night before). 

As we entered the park, I was overwhelmed with the smell of my Yankee candle, I mean... with the smell of fresh Christmas trees. (We rely on candles, due to that investment of fake tree - still up....).  I had seen a few cars drive past with their trees strapped to the top. Why? Here's why. Apparently this is the town dumping ground for old trees! Wonder what they do with them.... it sure smelled good!


As we hit the halfway mark of our run, the wind picked up a bit, and we got a wiff of seashore smells.  I just love all of the shells on this section of the beach. And the view of NYC in the distance. So pretty.


This has always been one of my favorite places, and I love that it's open to non-residents in the winter. PLUS, there was a very nice Parks and Rec worker (who gave me a thumbs up, thanks!) who was blocking the road from car traffic for "Safe Streets Sundays." How nice is that?! 





 Oliver had a good 4.5 mile nap, and then enjoyed watching the people, dogs and cars as we ran back along Sound Beach Avenue.


I'm glad he's so used to being (and napping!) in the stroller. 

Here's the breakdown of our mileage today, not shabby for run #1.

Mile 1 - 8:40
Mile 2 - 8:38
Mile 3 - 8:54
Mile 4 - 8:52
Mile 5 - 8:58
Mile 6 - 8:48

Average - 8:48/mile
(which if held consistently for 13.1 miles would result in a 1:55:16 time)
Next up for this week: 3 miles on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment