Saturday, January 11, 2014

Am I crazy?

Needing motivation to run for distance (plus lose those last 5lbs!), I signed up for the Greenwich Half Marathon on April 6th. Yes, that's TWELVE weeks away and I am eleven weeks post baby. Nuts. (Interested? Click here!)

Why? you might ask… I did it because I've been feeling great. I did a 4 mile run with the boys a few weeks ago - a 6 miler on the treadmill and a few kick @$$ tempo treadmill runs. Not going for a PR (although it would be nice, Mere….), just trying to get back into it.

The BEST part about it is that I ::somehow:: roped no less than six other moms into doing it with me! Not only will group runs be more fun but we'll have each other to motivate, pose questions to, and support each other as we go through this. Many of the moms will be running with strollers, so it's really important that we find stroller-friendly routes that aren't too repetitive (loops - yuck!).  There are six or seven of us going tomorrow, and four will be with stroller - although I think I'm the only one stuck with a double. After week 3 or 4, I'll be leaving one (if not both!) boys at home.

Most of the moms have done some races in the past (5Ks, 10Ks, Turkey Trots even a few halves and full marathons!) so I have a feeling it'll be an awesome group to run with. Friends are inviting friends, it should be super fun.

We're doing our first run tomorrow at Greenwich Point tomorrow morning, and this is where the race is come April. It looks like a fantastic course - most importantly flat! I think we'll try to run the majority of it towards the end of our training to familiarize ourselves with the roads and turns.

We're going to use an adjusted version of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Training Plan. Speaking only for myself, I can only commit to running 2x/week especially through March when I'm back at work. We're also doing long runs on Sundays, not Saturdays. I'll post the updated version of our plan once I finalize it.


Off to get a good night's sleep (hopefully, c'mon Miles!) and rock 5-6 miles in the a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment